REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, YOGYAKARTA -- Death toll of Saturday's Sunda Strait tsunami has risen to 168, the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) said. According to BNPB, the data was updated on 13.00 West Indonesia Standard time.
The head of BNPB's Data and Information Center, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, said the death toll is feared to increase as there were 30 people still missing. Meanwhile, 745 people were injured.
BNPB said three areas affected by tsunami, namely Pandeglang District, Serang, and South Lampung. The hardest hit was Pandeglang District.
A house ruined by tsunami that hit Anyer, Banten, on Saturday Dec 22.
"The largest was in Pandeglang District where 10 sub-district hit by tsunami," Sutopo said at BPBD office in Yogyakarta, Sunday (Dec 23).
Mapping process of affected ares in the three districts is still being carried out. So far, it was known that tsunami also heavily damaged 558 houses, nine hotels, 350 boats and 60 culinary stalls.
"Helicopters are also deployed to monitor the tsunami impacts," Sutopo said.