REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, TANGERANG — President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) handed over tawheed (Laa Ilaha Ilallah, the oneness of God) flag burning incident to police. Currently, police is still investigating the case.
“It has conveyed by Coordinating Minister for Political and Security Affairs and also police,” said Jokowi on Wednesday (Oct 24).
Earlier, GP Ansor chairman Yaqut Cholil Qoumas confirmed there was video of Nahdlatul Ulama (NU) Garut Banser members who burned a flag that allegedly owned by former Islamic mass organization Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia (HTI). The incident drew public attention as the flag is considered belongs to all Muslims.
Meanwhile, PBNU chairman Sulton Fatoni said that HTI flag burning was an effort to glorify tawheed sentence. “What Banser did was an attempt to glorify tawheed sentence, because HTI flag has abused tawheed sentence,” said Sulton.
Sulton said the flag was secured from HTI which misused it for political purposes. Nevertheless, he considered Banser members reaction not sympathetic.
Also read: Tawheed flag burning reaps condemnation
National Police pledged to continue legal process of tawheed flag burning incident, even though the perpetrators had apologized. Police will examine criminal element of the case.
“National Police will continue to process this incident. Apologize did not resolve the crime,” said National Police spokesman Setyo Wasisto.
Police will also explore the motive behind tawheed flag burning incident. So far, police has secured three people related to this case. There is one person who allegedly involved and searched by police.