REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, JAKARTA -- The Communication and Information Ministry is in the process of verifying some 9,500 radical sites as part of the effort to block them. Communication and Information Minister Rudiantara said as many as 2,528 sites have been blocked until late Saturday night.
"And we are in the process of verifying some 9,500 others. I believe their number has increased," Rudiantara said here on Sunday evening.
The Communication and Information Ministry is only tasked with taking action in the cyber world, while the law enforcement agency or the National Police will take the concrete action, he said.
He said the ministry has so far blocked thousands of sites spreading provocative news. One of them is Al Fatihin site because it is against the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia. "Most of the blocked sites came from Facebook, Instagram and Youtube," he said.
He asked the public and media to help stem the spread of radicalism by providing information on websites containing radicalism.
"To be sure, the government will continue to tighten its supervision in the cyber world and will block radical sites. The Communication and Information Ministry and the National Police will continue to comb (radical sites) by conducting a joint patrol," he said.